Sunday, February 24, 2013

十五元宵节 Cakepop Takoyaki!

When GF came last winter, she put the idea of using Cake Pop Maker for Takoyaki! 

But she puts the idea too late and most of the Cake Pop Maker that were on clearance after the X'mas season were sold out online and instore. And because these are Christmas Clearance, it was only selling for USD10$.


And I was given another chance when Groupon is selling them for USD15$. 
I do my research this time round and find out that the newer models or other brands are selling them for USD20$ or more. And the 'REAL' Electrical Takoyaki ranged from USD60$ - USD250$! That is CRAZY, not like I am eating Takoyaki everyday! 

The rice-cooker that I used everyday doesn't cost me that much!


I made my order from Groupon.com and they come quick!
And we go out rounding up the ingredient, and lucky us Asiaworld sells Takoyaki Flour, so eliminates alot of 'OTHER' ingredient like Hondashi MSG.


Octopus was expensive and we didn't know if the Cakepop maker would work so we didn't take the risk and used prawns and imitation crabmeat instead.

Chopped cut everything to appropriate size ...

I prep tenkasu (tempura batter), and had a hard time convincing hubs that alot of recipes out there calls for them even the Popular Cooking with the dog's youtube lady! He says SG version don't have but I almost have to SHOUT in his face that TAKOYAKI is a JAPANESE STREET FOOD and if the Japs says there is, there SHOULD BE! 

Hmmfppphhhh!
So I spend some time, flour, water and a egg to prep tenkasu!
*Angsie*


And since I am deep frying I just throw all my ingredient into the batter and into the oil to deep fry them, hahaha! 

顺便啦 ...

The Takoyaki Flour is very convenient, 100gram of flour to 340ML of water and 1 egg; mix well!


Hub wasn't sure if he can succeed on first trial, so he do a six piece first.

And it went surprising well the first time!
All thanks to all the youtube videos online ...

Look PRO right, hahahaha ...
It takes about 3-5minutes to get everything done and on a PLATE ...

And he mustered up the courage and did a 12 piece Takoyaki!

He is very quick on his finger and flip all successfully and flip all the overflows back too!

See the flip half, flip 3/4 and flip all.
Wait to cook!

I preferred a tad charred outside!
Add Japanese Mayo, Okonomi sauce, fish flakes and seaweed.

"Uncle, 12 Takoyaki and More MAYO please!"
Really SHIOK ar!
Takoyaki at home ...

The holes of the cake pops are rather small and in total we had 30 pieces of Takoyaki! 
Hub says it is mini Takoyaki ...
Ingredients are not cheap, so we have to make sure that we finish the whole packet of Takoyaki flour hopefully to at least break-even. If not we might have to go find 'Pasar Malam' here to 'cheat' ang mo hahaha!

"Lelong lelong, 6 Takoyaki; USD3.00$!"

No 汤圆 for 元宵, we make do with Takoyaki; same same 圆圆!
十五元宵节 快乐!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...