Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Buncto - #90 Braised Mustard Green w Pork Belly

I was browsing my cookbooks for ideas and saw this dish in a Taiwanese cookbox, using the 'Braising' method. Remember I tried the same dish using the 'Steam' version aka Hakka Style in "Playing Host with 梅菜扣肉!". 

I wondered, "Will there be any difference"? 
The answer is 'YES'! 

Using the steamed method, Pork belly did not shrink and the Preserved mustard green is softer and more tender. But by using the braising method, I can prepare MORE in my Big POT and the steps are so much easier to do than the steaming method. 
I realised I am so much like my mom, we both love 梅菜, so I can have 梅菜 in any method.
Mom mostly used the leftover braised duck or roast duck to prepare 梅菜.
Hmmmm, why huh?
Only 4 ingredients needed.
Ingredient : 梅菜 Preserved Mustard Green, Pork Belly, Scallions and Ginger.
Seasoning : Thick Soy sauce, Oyster sauce, Rice wine, Water/broth, Sugar and Salt.
Cookbook only uses Soy sauce, rice wine, rock sugar and salt for the seasoning.
I soak the Preserved mustard for 4 hours and rinsed them MULTIPLE times!
Then chopped them up accordingly.
I pan fried the pork belly but this step is optional and not required in the cookbook.
Prep the other ingredient.
ONLY TWO!
Then sliced the pork belly to bite-sized.
Read on for my pictorial.

This is the actual ingredient from the cookbook.

Heat the pan and add oil, fry the ginger and scallion till aromatic, and add in the diced pork belly. Add seasoning and Preserved mustard green. Add in enough water/broth to cover the dish. Bring dish to boil, and simmer for another 1 hour. 
I change to another pot for the simmering process.
Let it rest for one night and it will taste better the next day!
I added an egg, and hotdog for Hubba's lunchbox!
Simple? 
I think the portion I prepare can at least last for a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...