Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chwee kueh (Steamed rice cake w Preserved Radish)

Update : Hubba says, "好吃!".
I cannot contain my excitement and had to blog it even before Hubba tried them!
It is so exciting when I can replicate a very OLD SCHOOL recipe. We always 'tabao' Chwee Kueh for breakfast when we are in Singapore, and you are so reliant on the convenience of everything in Singapore, you cannot imagine, "Huh, so easy?". But of course you cannot compare yourself to 老字号 in Tiong Bahru, I know (roll eyes) ...

But if there is a 50% taste and look-alike, I can be very happy too, right?
I adapted the Chwee Kueh recipe from Kitchen Tigress, because she only used 150gram of Rice flour. There are only 2 of us, so I do not need to do, too big a batch! But I am out of Wheat Starch (Tang Mien Flour), so I ...
Ingredient : Rice Flour 150gram, 1tbsp Cornstarch, 1 tbsp Tapioca Starch, 1/2 tsp Salt and 2 tsp Sesame oil. 200ml of Cold water and 500ml of boiling water.
Click below to Read on for for my step by step Pictorials.

I dare not prep my Preserved Radish (Chai Por) until I am very sure I can un-mould the Chwee Kueh! Hahaha if it is unsuccessful, I will just waste some flour!
After 10minutes of steaming, and another 5minutes for the kueh to cool down, I used a toothpick and un-moulded the kueh easily ...
The floury taste is very heavy, I wonder is it due to the brand of rice flour I use or is it due to the way I cook the flour? hmmmm ...

Anyway after I am satisfied with the Chwee Kueh, I started to prep my Chai Por! Hopefully the Chai Por can hide the floury tasting kueh. I loosely adapt recipes from everywhere. I don't think there will be a fixed recipes for Chai Por because for one, Chai Por taste very different if you buy from different region or from different brand. I am very particular with Chai Por and only use a specific colour-typed. I don't recognize Chai Por by brand or whether they are sweet or salty, I recognize them by their colour! I am weird this way...
Ingredient : 150gram Chopped Preserved Sweet Radish (Chai Por), 1 diced shallot, 1 diced garlic, Sugar, Fish sauce, Dark Soy sauce, and 1/4cup Chicken stock. 
I see people adding anchovies, dried shrimps, roasted sesame seed but I added chicken broth to simmer the preserved radish until the water are fully absorbed and the oil starts to come out again.
Adjust taste accordingly ...
I find the prep Chai Por abit salty but maybe Hubba would love them as he love such saltish stuff!
And according to my standard, it is not fantastico but then I get at least a PASS!

成功!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...