Friday, June 1, 2012

Hub 33 Bday Pt02 - Chocolate mousse cake with Chocolate Ganache frosting!

In my mind, I already have an idea what I wanted to do for Hub's birthday; another mousse cake! Hubby is just a 'Cream' type of person! Anything creamy and sweet, he will like it! So here goes my adventure of the day ...
But he suddenly informed me that he wanted to celebrate it in Singapore timing, which will be ONE DAY sooner than USA time! I was in a mad rush to find another Chocolate cake recipe! I ended up using Nigella's Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake recipe which seems more like a SURE BET!
I divided the batter into 2 and baked one by one because my Oven is too small. I wanted the cake to be 'purrrfect', I have to sliced off the domed! Hub's was so cruel, he sliced off so much from the top. And below is the leftover 'crumbs' which made up of entirely ANOTHER CAKE!
The "Chocolate Mousse" was prepared using the previous recipe which both of us agree is YUMMMY! However sometimes, there seems to be some problem with the link, if you are interested and cannot use the link; hop over to her site and search for 'mousse'.

Next I come to this fondant flowers ...
Just a few days ago, my FIL once commented to me that I have to practise my lesson, if not I will forget the skill I learn! Hahaha so these flowers are just so extra and time-consuming!
All handcrafted by my hand and on my feet!
Gosh, breakbacking!
A few hours just to handrolled the fondant and mold all these flowers, no wonder fondant cakes are so expensive. But then nowadays there are alot of fondant mold to make the job so much easier.
Finally at my last step, Chocolate Ganache to cover the cake.
50:50, Ghirdelli's 60% Dark Chocolate with Hot thick cream!
Just pour the Ganache over the cake and pop everything into the fridge ...
I remember I have a number cookie cutter somewhere ...
My Mistake No, 1 and ONLY mistake (luckily); I should have added the flower after the ganache has harden.
But for a first timer, this looks good!
Singing Happy birthday, 'LIVE' from Singapore!

Hope you are happy with the Fish Head Curry's Lunch and Chocolate Mousse Cake Supper.
I stood in the kitchen from 3pm till 10pm for this cake (not including the standing for Fish head curry) and at the end of the night, my heel was in PAIN! Usually people doing such Mousse layer cake will split the preparation into 2 days but because Hub wants to celebrate in Singapore time so it is such a rush for me. And I only bought all the ingredients in the morning, and the night before I keep turning and tossing just thinking or how I should approached the cake. 

Luckily everything just went smoothly ...
Happy 33th BIRTHDAY, 老公
(Click below to see all the recipes and references.)

NIGELLA'S OLD FASHION CHOCOLATE CAKE 
200g plain flour 
200g caster sugar 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 
40g best-quality cocoa 
175g soft unsalted butter 
2 large eggs 
2 teaspoons real vanilla extract 
150ml sour cream

METHOD
Serves: 
  • Take everything out of the fridge so that all the ingredients can come to room temperature.
  • Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C and line and butter two 20cm sandwich tins with removable bases.
  • Now all you have to do is put all the cake ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarb, cocoa, butter, eggs, vanilla and sour cream - into a food processor and process until you have a smooth, thick batter. If you want to go the long way around, just mix the flour, sugar and leavening agents in a large bowl and beat in the soft butter until you have a combined and creamy mixture. Now whisk together the cocoa, sour cream, vanilla and eggs and beat this into your bowl of mixture.
  • Divide this batter, using a rubber spatula to help you scrape and spread, into the prepared tins and bake until a cake tester, or a thin skewer, comes out clean, which should be about 35 minutes, but it is wise to start checking at 25. Also, it might make sense to switch the two cakes around in the oven halfway through cooking time.
  • Remove the cakes, in their tins, to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before turning out of their tins. Don't worry about any cracks as they will easily be covered by the icing later.
JILL’S CLASSIC CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE
240gram Chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate 
1/2 cup water 
1/2 cup White sugar 
350ml whipping cream
1tbsp Instant coffee
2 eggs, beaten
  • Chop chocolate roughly by hand and put into a blender or mini-prep. Pulse lightly to create smaller pieces. Set aside.
  • Whip whipping cream with hand mixer until stiff peaks are formed – but not too long so butter does not form. I suggest using a large glass bowl.
  • Boil coffee, sugar, and water for three minutes. Pour into the chocolate chips in the blender. Add egg quickly, while syrup is still hot (the eggs will be raw in this recipe). If using a mini-prep like I did, I took the syrup off the heat, and poured the chocolate into the pan and then the egg, and used the hand wand to mix instead of a blender. Note: be very careful of splashes as it’s hot!
  • Blend mixture until a pudding-like consistency occurs. Fold this chocolate mixture into the whipping cream and use a rubber spatula to gently mix it.
  • If serving on its own, serve into individual serving dishes – refrigerate for 4 hours before serving, or freeze (can be frozen up to 6 weeks). If making the cake, pour into the mold and refrigerate for several hours.
(Note : I double her recipe for my cake, and it filled up the 8inch pan, just nice.)
 
CHOCOLATE GANACHE 
240gram Ghirdelli's 60% Chocolate
240ml Whipping cream
  • Chopped Chocolate to pieces
  • Boil whipping cream and add the chopped Chocolate into the boiling cream.
  • Shut off fire immediate.
  • Stir and cool till ready to use.
OTHER REFERENCES
Pencil Kitchen - "A moist Adaptation of Nigella cake".
Cake Central - "How to make Marshmallow Fondant".
Youtube - "How to make a Fondant rose".
Youtube - "How to Make a Fondant Ribbon Rose".
Youtube - "Slightly More Realistic Rolled Fondant Ribbon Roses".

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...