Please note this is not 米粉 (Rice vermicelli), this is 冬粉 (Cellophane noodles, bean threads, bean thread noodles, crystal noodles, or glass noodles, mung-bean noodles). I have now 'master' the method of stir-frying and then braising the noodles in the wok.
Ingredients : 3 packet of Vermicilli, diced half red bell pepper, sliced half brown onion, 2 stalks of spring onion, 2 cloves of shallots, 3 eggs, 15 prawns, a few cloves of garlic, sliced cucumber, 11/3 cups of chicken broth.
I realised the more aromatics you put into your dished, the more depth the dish would become! Of course you doesn't have to put in everything, but garlic and brown onion is a MUST!
The fresher the prawns the better, but my prawns not as fresh le.
Scramble the eggs and prawns to set aside.
Seasoning : 1 tbsp of Dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp of Fish sauce, 1 tsp Haochi MSG, 1.5 tbsp of sugar and dash of salt. (Add oyster sauce too if you like!)
The way I do it :
- Add hot water to vermicelli, soak for 1-2minutes until soften; drain and drench with cold water, drain and set aside.
- Add oil, scramble the eggs and set aside
- Add oil, stir-fry the prawns to 70% and set aside.
- In the existing work, add more oil if necessary and add in shallots and fry till light brown and add in garlic; follow by brown onion.
- Pour in chicken broth and all seasoning.
- Add in the prepared Vermicelli, stir to ensure all vermicelli soaks up the broth.
- Add in scrambled eggs, prawns, red bell pepper and white part of spring onion.
- High fire, cover and cook till all the sauce are fully absorb into all ingredients.
- Dish and eat them with fresh crispy cucumber!
Top the dish off with the green part of the spring onion!
Hub and I agree; anythng with PRAWNS is yummmilicioussss!
Crispiness of the cucumber is very refreshing with the vermicilli!
Now I ask Hub which one of my dishes he likes best?
His answer is "炒冬粉"!