Saturday, April 14, 2012

Marble cake (Epic failure ~)

I have this highly-rated Marble cake recipe from House of Annie somewhere at the back of my mind. Finally I have the chance to bake a marble cake because I am trying to finish all the butter in my fridge. Annie's recipe calls for 6 eggs but I reduced the ingredients to a 4-eggs recipe. I didn't have yoghurt so I replaced them with Sour cream. I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate, bitter! And I replaced her cups measurement to grams, I don't like using cups for measurement; usually I will convert them to grams.
 
I have done a few baking recently and all cakes FAIL, I wonder is it the butter or is it the oven!? It seems that the cake wasn't fully bake at the given temperature and time! And the current marble cake fail too when it wasn't fully baked at 320C/50minutes. I have to increase the temperature to 350C/another 20-30minutes. And the cake gotten too dry!
The 'Chocolate' part is too dry but the vanilla batter was great!
I guess I shouldn't add that extra 1/2 tbsp of cocoa powder, and maybe more 'water/milk' to the chocolate batter!
Or maybe the butter are not the 'branded' butter (generic store brand) and are almost at expiry date! Hahahaha, I should get some branded European butter to give it a try AGAIN!
Nevertheless the marble cake are edible, not the best but they are good; abit dry thou.
Luckily butter cakes are always very forgiving and so we have Marble cake for breakfast for the next few days! After so much problems, I forget I have ugly marbling!!! Hahaha, I have to draw more lines to create a finer marbling! I wonder when is the next time I be trying out marble cake again!? I hope soon ...

Please note, the marble cake is not up to standard because of my lousy butter, oven and not because of Annie's wonderful recipe. I promise I try it out again SOON!! With better Butter of COURSE!

Adapted from House of Annie (4 eggs recipe)
225 gram (2 sticks) Salted butter
250 sugar
4 XL Eggs
1 Tsp vanilla extract
280 Self raising flour
85 gram Sour cream
85 gram Milk
70gram Chocolate
1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Method
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Put chocolate in a dry, clean bowl and melt in microwave oven in 30-second intervals, stirring till you get a smooth paste. Remove and let cool a little.
3. In a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar till mixture is fluffy and sugar has been cut in well.
4. Add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down before adding the next one.
5. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
6. Using hand-whisk, add dry ingredients then wet then dry then wet in 3 portions each. Hand whisked, and scrape the side of bowl till all traces of flour is gone.
7. Take out half and put it into another bowl.
8. Add the melted chocolate and cocoa powder to half of batter and stir it in till there are no more streaks of white.
9. Scoop globs of vanilla batter with chocolate batter, drop batter into baking pan, one by one.
10. Using a chopstick, twirl the batter together using a figure-eight motion to mix the batter up to get that nice pretty marble design.
11. Smooth out the top ofthe cake pan and put cake in oven to bake. 350C for 50minutes (Adjust accordingly to individual oven).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...