Thursday, March 15, 2012

Castella Cake aka カステラ Kasutera

Castella Cake has very simple ingredient list, and I think everyone should have these ingredients at home; ermmmm maybe not cake flour but I did see alot of people using just general All-purpose flour. Well the basic ingredient used are; Eggs, bread flour or All-purpose flour, Honey and sugar. But some varies with milk and mirin.

As far I as I see online, there are 2 different method to prepare a Castella Cake.

1) Whipped egg yolk + egg white on warm water (double boiler method) to stabilise the whipped eggs.
2) Beat the egg white to firm peak and add the yolk one by one.

I choose the latter.
It is mentioned that this is not a BASIC level cake so I am a tad worried!
But I manage to pull it through and in the end and I chose the recipe from Betty. Her instruction is very clear and the video link is very clear and easy to follow.
Preparation of the ingredient is SOOOOOOOOOOO SIMPLE!
The egg yolks is so pretty!
I have TO CONCENTRATE on the egg white beating, and the mixing so I cannot take photographs until the batter is sent into the oven!

Successfully with all the PREP work and send it in the OVEN, phew ~
I so scared I would FAIL at the egg white stage ...
I only has a 8 inch square pan, I guess it is too short.
Should have just use my usual round pan.
Nevertheless the cake come out looking good.
But I have another worry, I scare the middle was unbake or it might collapse or whatever can go wrong will go wrong. SO at this stage, I still cannot be too happy.

Waiting game starts ...
TOto is begging for attention ...
OR he is waiting for CRUMBS to fall off the table?
After cooling and unwrapping, I still cannot see what is inside!
The instruction is to WRAP them and throw them into the fridge.
The cake is unlike AP flour cake, it is bouncy and firm to the touch.
I cannot wait till the next day, and I unwrapped and starts SLICING.
OMG, they looks good! 
I don't know how to explain the chewy-ness and the fragrance but it sure taste good. NOPE, it isn't butter cake. YOU REALLY have to try and taste it yourselves!

I wish I can be in JAPAN and test out the REAL thing!
I read this are very common and sold EVERYWHERE ...

A ugly piece for Hub to snack on ...
There is a green tea Castella Recipe out there, I  might try it soon; after Hub finishes ALL the castella cake!
Ingre­di­ents from Betty.
5 Egg Yolks
4 Egg White
125 g Granulated Sugar
100 g Bread Flour (I sifted twice)
15 g Turbinado Sugar (didn't use this)
50 g Honey (I dilute with 2tbsp of water and 1 tbsp of mirin)
  • Pre­pare pan: line insides and bot­tom of pan with foil and add a piece of parch­ment paper onto the bot­tom, sprin­kle with turbinado sugar.
  • Pre­heat oven to about 325 F / 160 C.
  • Place egg whites in mix­ing bowl and mix with a mixer on high speed for about 30 sec­onds and start adding sugar in 2 — 3 times. Beat until firm peaks are formed.
  • Add yolks one by one and mix on low speed until well combined whisk by hand.
  • Add sifted bread flour and mix on low speed until just combined whisk in a folding action by hand.
  • Add honey and hot water mix­ture and mix on low speed until mixed whisk in a folding action by hand .
  • Pour bat­ter through a sieve into cake pan, use a spat­ula or whisk to help the thick bat­ter go through the sieve. (MUST DO, I SAW alot of dregs on the sieve.)
  • Tap pan on the counter to remove any large bub­bles in the batter.
  • Bake in pre­heated oven for about 60 min­utes or until golden brown on top — check with a skewer to see if cake is ready. ( I bake using 320F/60minutes)
  • If ready, take out of oven (with oven mitts) and drop the pan on the counter from about a foot in height to pre­vent shrinkage.
  • Cool cake. Revert cake onto a piece of parch­ment paper and plas­tic wrap, remove foil and wrap in plas­tic wrap until ready to serve (at least overnight) to pre­serve mois­ture in cake (leave upside down).
Click on for references and video.


For Reference :






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...