Saturday, February 25, 2012

Char Siew again, practice makes perfect?

My first CS experience @ Braised Scorched Char Siew in a WOK.
I bought another batch of shoulder butt because Hub requested for Char Siew again!
Pork butt only sells for 2.58/lb!
All the marinate that I used. Measurement is just eye balling, rough estimation.
Marinate : 2 tbsp Maltose, 2 tbsp Honey, 1 tbsp Hoisin (not in picture), 1 tbsp Soy Sauce, 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce, 1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp Sesame oil, 2 tbsp of rice wine, 2 tsp 5 Spice Powder, 2 tbsp Sugar and 2tsp salt.
tbsp = tablespoon, tsp = teaspoon
In the end I used all 3.32lb of the Pork Butt.
I use medium fire to cook all the marinate sauce before drenching them on the Pork But.
Marinate the Pork Overnight in the fridge.
This time round I used abit more water when I cooked the Char Siew as compare to the last time. I start off with Panfrying the meat with oil to seal the meat first and continue to pour in the marinate sauce, and added water (Water cover at least half of the meat, eyeball estimate 'half cup'). When the water boil turn fire to medium and cover with a lid. Don't forget to turn the meat during the braising.
Because I added more water, and ended up with more Char Siew sauce but a little less caramelized sticky Char Siew meat. You can taste the sauce and add more marinating sauce as per your own taste here. I added more sugar and honey. When the meat is cook. drain the sauce into a saucepan. Continue to charred the pork with high fire.

This time round the Char Siew's bite is dryer and less sweet and salty.




But with the Char Siew sauce, everything tasted alright.
I prepare the rice with a packet of Pre-mix Hainanese Chicken rice sauce and the Whole Char Siew rice taste just like what we get outside!!
But Hub prefer the last batch which are more charred and sticky. I told him,'The last time was a MISTAKE!' 

I am determined to find out what is the difference and to perfect them so Idecide to finish braising the leftover Pork Butt in the fridge which I cannot fit in the wok the first time round.

I took out the wok and start working again.
CONCLUSION
I realized if you add LESS water (1/4 cup?) to the marinate sauce when you are cooking the Pork Butt, you end up with a Stickier, more Caramelized surface. You can add additional marinate or water (little by little) here if needed.When the Pork meat is cooked, just drain off the sauce but still left abit in the wok to Charred the Pork with. There is NO NEED to switch to BIG FIRE, just medium fire and you can slowly charred the surface of the meat.

2nd batch prepared with less water in the marinate sauce when I start to braised the pork. You can see the surface is shinier and the meat is more charred.
The 2nd batch that I made today just takes me about less than 30minutes.
3.32lb and end up with about 2.5lb of Char Siew.
If we get them outside, 1 lb sells for USD7.99.

Practice do make perfect!
More practiced to come or 烧肉 (Roast Pork Belly) next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...