Friday, September 23, 2011

Buncto - #33 Stir-Fried Glutinous Rice (生炒糯米飯)

Hub's Colleague seeing that Hubs is bringing lunchbox to work daily asked him :

   Hub's Colleague : Oh your wife cook? Where did she learn how to cook?
   Hubs : Youtube!

This sounds so funny but, No joke! I really learn my cooking/baking via youtube and all the cooking blogs online PLUS, fragments of that little bit of vague memories of how my mother used to do things and of course all the 'trials and errors' over the years"!

My mother never reveal the 'WHOLE STORY'. Her teaching is always vague, with a little bit of this, alittle bit of that and 'aga aga' (which meant estimate it yourself!). Even the timings she gave me are 'aga aga'! Everything she taught me is 'agaration' (Estimation)!

I seriously lack confidence and I tell hub if this fails, you won't have lunch tomorrow! I have been looking at this recipe for like 1 year, on and off; always reading about whether to 'steam' or to 'cook in rice cooker' or just stir fry! And I thought the 'steaming' method should be better because the rice would be sticker and wetter that the reason I dare not stirfry them! But the stirfry method seems the easiest!

Today's menu : Stir-Fried Glutinous Rice with Dried chinese sausage, Dried shrimp, Dried Shittake mushroom and Eggs.
I think the stir frying took less than 20minutes! I didn't exactly timed but I think including the slicing of the mushroom, lapcheong and dried shrimp; everything just took 20 minutes!
But of course, soaking of the rice took at least 3hours!

Ingredient : 1 cup of Glutinous rice, 4/5 of dried chinese sausage, 3tbsp of dried prawns, 5 dried shittake mushroom and 2 eggs.
This is HOW I do it!
1. Soak rice for 3 hours (I think I soak for about 6hours!), follow by soaking the dried mushroom for at least 30 minutes or till soft and then lastly soak the dried shrimps!
2. Remove wax from Chinese sausage, and then cubed/sliced them.
3. After all the soakings is done, sliced mushrooms and roughly chopped up the dried shrimps. DO NOT throw away all the liquid from the mushrom and dried shrimps!
4. Break egg and fried them thinly, sliced and set aside.
5. In the same pan, add more oil and fry in this order > Chinese sausage, dried shrimps, mushroom and add about 1/4cup of water from soaking the mushroom then add rice!
6. Keep stir frying until water dry from the pan, and continue to add water from mushroom and dried shrimps.
7. Add more water if both stock finishes and fry till rice soften, lastly add seasoning. I added Oyster sauce and KNORR Hao Chi (All-In-One Seasoning).
I would add Pork belly and peanut the next time I try this again! It is surprisingly EASY and quick not including the soaking time! THIS is definitely a KEEPER! Hubs took EVERYTHING to work hmmmffppp never leave at least a few mouthful for me!!
Reference :
wantanmien's youtube
kitchentigress.blogspot.com
Lucy's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...