Saturday, August 6, 2011

Part 2 of the day; Otak Otak!

Note : The Otak taste so much better the next day!

Nowadays, you can find ANYTHING online and there is ALOT of recipes out there but then alot of the recipes shared are only via words; it is very seldom that there are pictures of the Step-by-step are shown. SO, I am like a blind rat doing all these, don't know what to expect and don't know how it will turn out. But I have gotten braver, and thought I should just give it a try!

And so I ARM myself with the end product of the picture from deliciousasianfood.com and her recipe; I start my journey using her simple recipe! If I am successful, I hope the pictures here can help someone who would wish to try this recipe in their kitchen!
Chop up all the ingredient from (B).
Blitz them to a FINE, very very FINE PASTE!
The tumeric stained my blender and finger and blade; sad!
Otak Paste ...
Gather the rest of (A) and (C)!
Blend (B) & (C), mix them up!
Pour it over the fish, and steam for 20 minutes, viola!
OTAK OTAK in our own home ...
I am so *proud* of myself!
*Pat pat* myself on the shoulder, kekeke ...

From Deliciousasianfood.com (Her mom's recipe!)
Ingredients
(A)
•250 to 300 grammes of fish flesh (spanish mackarel aka tenggiri, use a spoon to scrape flesh from the fish and place the flesh in a bowl)

(B)
•5 pieces dried red chilli (pre-soaked to soften and remove seeds)
•3 cm lengkuas
•1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder ( I use half a inch of tumeric)
•2 stalks serai (lemon grass), sliced thinly
•5 shallots
•2 cloves garlic
•5 limau purut leaves, finely sliced(Omitted, cannot find!)

(C)
•1/2 tablespoon rice flour
•1 tablespoon cornflour
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
•1/2 cup santan (coconut milk)
•2 large eggs (beaten)

Method
Blend (B) and place in mixing bowl. Add (C) and mix well followed by fish flesh and form into a dough-like mixture. Let it stand for 15 minutes. Then place it on suitable steaming plate and flatten it.

Steam over rapid boiling water for about 5 to 10 minutes. To test whether it is thoroughly cooked, take a toothpick and poke into the otak-otak. If the toothpick comes out relatively clean, the otak-otak should be cooked. Serve hot.

Alternatively, place mixture on a piece of pre-cleaned banana leaf followed by an outer layer of heavy-duty aluminium foil and grill over charcoal fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...