Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pineapple Tart - Finally!

After days of researching, reading, comparing recipes online everywhere!
I finally decide on the recipes used by The Little Teochew who adapted it from Delicious Asian Food.

Since young I have watched mom baked Pineapple tarts but she has NEVER ALLOW me to TRY or TOUCH. And the only thing she allowed me to do is to 'Grate the pineapple' which I hate or 'Stir Fry the Pineapple'; which I hated too! So everything done here today is from researching online watching YOUTUBE and very very vague memories of what my mother had allowed me to watch! The final product is not as 'attractive' as what I imagine it to be but for home consumption, I think it is alright. Plus this is my FIRST TRIAL, have to 'pang chance' (forgive me) abit!

Why grate Pineapple?
Because you want to feel the Fibre of the pineapple from each bite!
I only used the Pastry Ingredient from the website and half everything.

Recipe for Pastry (adapted mainly from Delicious Asian Food)
- 400g plain flour*
- 50g corn flour
- 1/4 (heaped) tsp salt
- 280g cold, unsalted butter (do not allow it to soften)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tbsp cold water (or iced water)
- 6 tbsp icing sugar**
- 1/2 tsp cognac or pure vanilla extract
- For glaze, mix 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water

* Note that the original recipe called for 450g plain flour. I changed it to 400g plain flour + 50g corn flour to make the dough more "melty".

** The recipe called for 4 tsp castor sugar. I used 6 tbsp icing sugar in its stead. I read somewhere that icing sugar helps soft pastry dough keep their shape during baking.

1. Sift the flours and icing sugar.

2. Using the pointed ends of a fork, rub the butter into the flour until it looks like fine bread crumbs. If necessary, use fingertips to continue rubbing lightly the bigger pieces into finer pieces. Basically, just scrape / flake the butter with your forks. You essentially want to coat the butter crumbs in flour. Using forks prevents the cold butter from melting since there is no contact with heat. If you want to rub the butter into the flour using your hands, make sure you use only your fingertips.

3. Beat together egg yolks, cold water and cognac (or vanilla extract). Add it into the butter-flour mixture. Using your finger tips, gently coax all the crumbs into one large dough ball. Do not knead. As long as all the crumbs come together, stop. Chill in the fridge for about 10mins, covered.

The 2nd half of the recipe comes from The Little Teochew - Pineapple Tart Tangerine Style.
6. Divide dough into small balls and the pineapple filling into balls roughly 1/2 the size of the dough.

7. Wrap filling ball with dough ball and shape as desired.

8. Glaze with the glazing mix.

9. Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 15 mins in a oven.

10. Remove from oven and reglaze again before baking for another 5 mins till golden brown on top.

I bought 3 Pineapples but in the end, I used 2 because Hubs was saying try out HALF of the recipe first before plunging into the whole thing! Pineapples filling are very typical recipes but I added 1 cinamon stick and splash some cloves.
The Pineapples are too ripe, but no choice. I bought it in Market street for USD2.00 each! Paring and grating is still not the most difficult process in the whole baking experience!
I think the most difficult part of the whole process is the Stir Frying of the Pineapple, I really don't know when to stop, I guess it is all EXPERIENCE! I think I stop a tad too early and my pineapple is not as 'Dark' as my mom's Pineapple filling.
Roll the Pineapple filling before hand!
Everything is reading ...
The 2nd most difficult part is to make sure each and every Tart is of equal size, and I guess this is through experience too. Halfway through rolling out, I realised I used too much pastry for my tart but it is too late. In the end although I have about 51 pineapple filling but I manage to  do 32 tart. Opppsie! Nevermind, I will definitely do a 2nd round, and I make sure it is so much better than the first round!
The temperature of the New oven really puts my heart at ease, I know the Temperature is very constant and won't burn the Tart.
Ta-dah! Not a pretty sight, but then it really MELT in the mouth. I still hadn't achieved the BUTTERY taste, I guess it is all the BUTTER's fault! Next time I would insist on getting the BETTER BUTTER here; President or Lurpak as recommended online!

I find the Pineapple's filling TOO sweet for my liking but Hubs seems to think it is alright!
OR MAYBE HE DARE NOT criticise too much!?
Hard not to gain weight huh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...