Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mian Jian Kueh (面煎馃)

Saw this recipes with pictures on Kitchencapers' Forum and decide to try my hand because they have the simplest recipes; all the basics that I had at home! But of course, I have to research abit and the simpler the recipe the better. And I used Piggy's Cooking Journal's version.

Usually I eat Mian Jian Kueh only at 'Pasar Malam' and I don't really like it because the peanut filling is always so LITTLE, and the advantage of eating at home; I can add as much peanut as I LIKE!

From Piggy's Cooking Journal : Mian Jian Kueh (面煎馃) Ingredients:
1 egg
30g caster sugar
30ml canola or sunflower oil
125ml water
125g plain flour
3g baking powder
1g baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Filling:
80g toasted peanuts, grind coarsely
70g caster sugar
20g salted butter, cut into small pieces

Method:
1) Combine egg and sugar in a medium bowl, beat the mixture with a whisk until sugar dissolves.
2) Add oil to the mixture, stir until combine. Then stir in half of the amount of water.
3) Sift plain flour, baking powder and baking soda onto the batter, then mix thoroughly.
4) Then stir in remaining water and vanilla essence into the batter.
5) Lightly grease a 30cm flat frying pan and put it on medium heat.
6) Pour the batter into the pan and when the pancake is almost cooked, sprinkle peanuts, sugar and pieces of butter on it.
7) When the pancake is fully cooked, flip one side over and fold in half. Dish out the pancake and then cut into 4 wedges. Serve.

I prepared the batter the night before and use it just this morning!


The first one is abit burnt but still edible!
Ok smaller fire for 2nd piece!
Still not as nice as the one shown on Piggy's Corner version!
Hahaha must be the PAN la!
But taste still got about 80%, I think!
REALLY small fire the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...